Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Does Self-Help Books Help?

This is a very subjective question because everything boils down to the person that is reading the book.

Personally, self-help books may have helped me in many ways. However, these books only help if I apply the principles or lessons being taught. One of the most silly example is 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey, my life became more orderly or should I say "more effective" when I applied his principles of personal management. Well, I can say I managed to stay 'focused' and applied his principles for 6 months, then, everything fizzled and I became "less effective" as a person. HAHA... After a few more months, my gulit kicked in and I became "more effective" again and this become a cycle. This is a torturous cycle because of the 'guilt' part and emotional strain I'm giving to myself. I guess I need to reread the part on personal vision and personal leadership to get my act together.

This is also one of the reason for me to write this blog. To :
A) Stay FOCUS and don't become LAZY on applying the principles learned
B) Remember the lesson I learn from self-help books and apply it diligently

Therefore, the answer to the above question is : "it helps if you apply it!"

Now I am going to read the book complied by a motivational speaker. Her name is Wendy Kwek. The blog is www.wendykwek.com. A note: I am getting no credit for mentioning her.
The list is :
1)The Little Book on Value Investing
2) Influence - The power of persuasive influence - Robert Ciadini
3) Power of Now - Ekhart Tolle
4) How to Heal Your Life
5) Automatic Millionaire
6) Science of getting Rich
7) Secrets of Millionaire Mind - Harv Eker
8) The Richest Man in Babylon
9) The courage to be Rich - Suze Orman
10) The One Minute Millionaire - Robert Allen, Mark Victor Hansen

I am going to buy these books and read it. That is part of my 2008 resolution! 1 book per month and the principles will be written down and the effects of applying this principle will be written down as well.

That is all for today. Tomorrow better buy one of the book.

3 comments:

Ted said...

Heheh... first post

I agree with you. The challenge is to APPLY what you have learnt.

Pang Wee Siang said...

good write up

Chrissy said...

I agree. I've learned to love myself and not to be so judgmental. It's hard because I noticed in every picture i would find the worst of it in 1 second and I would just focus on that losing sight of how beautiful the actual picture looks. Focusing on how 'fat' I looked or how I wasn't smiling good enough. I've had it with that person. That person was never happy. Now because of this book I.M.Heart I've learned to love myself and just live each day in a happier mind set. Just in time too, wedding pictures are coming up, can't be too judgmental with those now!